Thursday, May 26, 2016

Zebras: Iridized and Fused

I have become quite fascinated with fusing iridized glass!  The results are quite satisfying! So, here's how I made my latest project. My subject? Zebras!!!! I knew the stripes would look so cool with the irid glass.

First, I selected my glass. The base color I want to use is black with an iridized surface.



The top piece of glass I chose is clear with an iridized surface. Unfortunately, clear glass doesn't show up too well in pictures, so I don't have a picture of it.

After giving both pieces of glass a good scrubbing, I applied the super secret, magic sticky film called resist to the irid side of the black and the clear glass. Then I drew two zebras on the black resist. On the clear resist, I drew the mirror image of the two zebras. Carefully, I used an Exacto knife to remove resist from areas I wanted to sandblast off the irid color.


I was now ready to go into the sandblaster. Wearing safely glasses, a mask, long sleeves and gloves, I entered the sandblaster and blasted away on my glass. When I finished, I peeled off all the remaining resist.


I placed the clear glass face down on top of the black irid glass and the mirror images of the zebras match up exactly!!! Into the kiln it went to be fused together at a crazy hot temperature off 1000 degrees for several hours.

Today, after the kiln had cooled enough to open, this is what I got!  So pleased!!! Can't wait to use it at my next cocktail party for cheese and crackers or bacon wrapped dates!
(All pictures are mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment